A highly experienced and respected chartered town planner currently providing independent expert advice on both on an interim and freelance and basis to the public, private and third sectors on planning matters specialising in strategic planning and policy development, spatial plans, development plans, the duty to cooperate, major developments & public examinations and inquiries. Particular strengths include leading and co-ordinating collaborative working across multiple local authorities and partner organisations providing innovative solutions reflecting the rapidly changing political, administrative and working context. Leads in a way which builds strong team and group working reflecting the available budget drawing on and stretching the abilities of team/group assets.
Prior to establishing my own consultancy in 2014 I had been employed by Birmingham City Council (1986 to 1014), Wolverhampton Metropolitan Borough Council (1986) and West Midlands County Council (1978-86) although my favourite job was hop picking during University vacations.
Key career highlights include:
• Preparing the development plan for Birmingham, the largest and most complex local authority in the UK. Facilitating the Duty to Cooperate across all of Birmingham's neighbours.
• Leading work on strategy development at Regional (Regional Spatial Strategy) and sub-regional levels (Metropolitan area and GBSLEP levels).
• Securing real positive changes on the ground through effective strategic planning. Examples include facilitating the regeneration of Birmingham City Centre such as Bullring and City Living, i54 to the north of Wolverhampton, securing Birmingham Airport as the main airport for passenger operations, delivering a new Country Park (New Hall Valley).
• Delivering at the sharp end to Members and through public scrutiny at Public Inquiries and Examinations-in-Public.
• Securing the above through the development of strong team and project group working, for example through leading cross authority/cross sector working at metropolitan, sub-regional and regional levels.
• Development of innovative solutions such as leading the preparation of the first draft of the GBSLEP Spatial Plan.
• Most recently as a consultant sharing this expertise elsewhere including helping to deliver the Luton Local Plan and the Luton Investment Framework.
Outside of work my interests focus on the following:
• Motorsport: Secretary of the governing body for BriSCA Formula One Stock Car Racing in the UK, since 2007.
• Licensed race official running live motorsport events.
• Owner of www.rollingstart.co.uk, leading UK motorsport website.
• Member of the Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Group.
• Digital and video photography, computing and travel.
• Chairman of Bishop Vesey’s Parents’ Association (2003 to 2005).
• Tower tour leader at Lichfield Cathedral (2015).